Current Contest Banner

EFX Subscriptions

News Bits & Rumors

Movie and TV Related News Items and Rumors.

AT&T Shutting Down FilmStruck

Postby ctaulbee » Oct Fri 26, 2018 11:16 am

AT&T to Shut-Down the WarnerMedia FilmStruck Subscription-Streaming Service

In AT&T’s latest move to streamline WarnerMedia, Turner and Warner Bros. Digital Networks announced Friday that the FilmStruck indie-film streaming service will shut down next month.

The FilmStruck business will cease U.S. and international operations on Nov. 29, 2018. A Turner rep declined to comment on how many employees will be affected by the closure, or provide info on how many employees work on FilmStruck.

In a statement, Turner and WB Digital Networks said, “We’re incredibly proud of the creativity and innovations produced by the talented and dedicated teams who worked on FilmStruck over the past two years. While FilmStruck has a very loyal fanbase, it remains largely a niche service. We plan to take key learnings from FilmStruck to help shape future business decisions in the direct-to-consumer space and redirect this investment back into our collective portfolios.”

The shutdown of FilmStruck, which debuted in November 2016, comes after other WarnerMedia digital units have gotten the axe.

Warner Bros. Digital Networks’ DramaFever, a subscription VOD service specializing in Korean dramas, was abruptly shut down on Oct. 16. One week ago, Turner announced that it was pulling the plug on edgy digital-content and TV studio Super Deluxe.

AT&T earlier this month signaled that it would move to restructure the WarnerMedia video-streaming portfolio. As part of announcing plans for a broad subscription-streaming entertainment service anchored by HBO that would pull in content from other parts of WarnerMedia, AT&T said it would be “consolidating resources from sub-scale D2C [direct-to-consumer] efforts.”

A source familiar with AT&T’s strategy said the telco is looking to eliminate peripheral projects that aren’t major producers of revenue. “They felt Time Warner overall had too many initiatives,” the exec said. “[AT&T] have their hands full. They have no time to think about, ‘What do we do with this growth property?'”

For those who did not know, this was the Criterion Channel's exclusive streaming host platform, they have not said if they will be relocating it or just ending it for now.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
My Gallery  •  Please leave a vote and short comment if you download my work, thanks.  •  My Criterion Collection
ctaulbee
Super Administrator
Hand Me The Sledgehammer... I'll Fix It!
Topic author
Topics: 1091
CoverArt: 3412
Resources: 4628
Medals: 56
2021 Cover of The Year (1)COTM March 2021 (1)COTM January 2021 (1)COTM November 2020 (1)
COTM July 2020 (1)COTM February 2020 (1)COTM January 2020 (1)COTM December 2019 (1)

Re: AT&T Shutting Down FilmStruck

Postby VincentLupo » Oct Fri 26, 2018 11:22 am

You can bet that Netflix and Amazon will be after that market. Let the bidding war begin.
VincentLupo
The Panda Moderator
Topics: 7
CoverArt: 2
Medals: 3
EFX 5K Post Club (1)Pandapedia Official Founder (1)Official Panda Moderator (1)

Postby Jazzy » Oct Fri 26, 2018 12:32 pm

:whathesaid:
Jazzy
Administrator
It must be 5 O'clock somewhere on this planet....Beer Time!
Topics: 542
CoverArt: 938
Resources: 75
EFX 5K Post Club (1)2016 Design Merit Contest (1)

Postby alienmem » Oct Fri 26, 2018 3:39 pm

It's no surprise. The average Joe Popcorn doesn't like indie films. Throw them anything that is indie and they just ignore it. I've even seen people who don't watch foreign films because they're so lazy to read subtitles.

All in all there are very few people who like cinema as art. The Criterion and Indie films are for such people. So if a very small niche of people really like films then it probably won't make a profit.

All Joe Popcorn wants is some Superhero BS and he or she is fine.

If you look every single week at the US boxoffice the top 10 is all crap.

You can even see that what I said also translates to bluray/dvd covers. All we see is 99% crap movies being made. The covers might be great. The movies themselves not.
alienmem
VIP Subscriber
I'm in a transitional period
Topics: 87
CoverArt: 122
Medals: 2
Wile E. Coyote Genius 2017 (1)Showdown Alienmem def Jamshedt (1)

Postby chouette » Oct Fri 26, 2018 8:09 pm

VincentLupo wrote:You can bet that Netflix and Amazon will be after that market. Let the bidding war begin.

I was thinking the same but isn't Netflix billions of dollars in debt? Is that a good strategic move for them?
chouette
Site Moderator
In my defense, I was left unsupervised.
Topics: 281
CoverArt: 6499
Resources: 284
Medals: 18
EFX ShoutBox Champ 2022 (1)2023 January Cover Contest (1)15,000 Downloads (1)EFX ShoutBox Champ 2021 (1)
EFX ShoutBox Champ 2020 (1)EFX Camp Counselor 2020 (1)EFX ShoutBox Champ 2019 (1)Contributor Of The Year 2019 (1)

Postby VincentLupo » Oct Fri 26, 2018 9:10 pm

The more debt the better.  Isn't that the way it works in big business?
VincentLupo
The Panda Moderator
Topics: 7
CoverArt: 2
EFX 5K Post Club (1)Pandapedia Official Founder (1)Official Panda Moderator (1)

Postby ctaulbee » Oct Fri 26, 2018 9:15 pm

Yup, big business is circular, there really is no such thing as "XYZ Co" closed so that's the end of that, the pieces just get moved around or onto new playing boards...
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
My Gallery  •  Please leave a vote and short comment if you download my work, thanks.  •  My Criterion Collection
ctaulbee
Super Administrator
Hand Me The Sledgehammer... I'll Fix It!
Topic author
Topics: 1091
CoverArt: 3412
Resources: 4628
Medals: 56
2021 Cover of The Year (1)COTM March 2021 (1)COTM January 2021 (1)COTM November 2020 (1)
COTM July 2020 (1)COTM February 2020 (1)COTM January 2020 (1)COTM December 2019 (1)

Postby chouette » Oct Sat 27, 2018 3:54 pm

You would think that over 8 billion dollars in long-term debt is a lot of frigging money, lol

It will be interesting to see how it all pan out.
chouette
Site Moderator
In my defense, I was left unsupervised.
Topics: 281
CoverArt: 6499
Resources: 284
Medals: 18
EFX ShoutBox Champ 2022 (1)2023 January Cover Contest (1)15,000 Downloads (1)EFX ShoutBox Champ 2021 (1)
EFX ShoutBox Champ 2020 (1)EFX Camp Counselor 2020 (1)EFX ShoutBox Champ 2019 (1)Contributor Of The Year 2019 (1)

Return to News Bits & Rumors