Current Contest Banner

EFX Subscriptions

News Bits & Rumors

Movie and TV Related News Items and Rumors.

Why the 'Game of Thrones' Duo Bailed on 'Star Wars'

Postby ctaulbee » Oct Thu 31, 2019 1:10 am

Lucasfilm's Kathleen Kennedy is on the hunt for new filmmakers as David Benioff and Dan Weiss leave a galaxy far, far away over their commitment to a lucrative $250 million Netflix deal.

On Monday, word broke that David Benioff and D.B. Weiss were stepping away from the Star Wars trilogy that Lucasfilm hired them to develop almost two years ago. This news was met with a somewhat harsh reaction from fans, some of whom still haven’t forgiven Benioff and Weiss for the polarizing final season of Game of Thrones. But even those fans must be a little bit curious about what the duo’s Star Wars films would have entailed. Now, we have some new insight into what the writers were planning.

A new report from Variety reveals that Benioff and Weiss were going to trace the history of the Jedi. They specifically wanted to explore how the Jedi Order came into existence in a story that would “exist apart” from the Skywalker Saga. Sadly, the report makes no mention of whether this would include any further references to midi-chlorians.

Over time, Benioff and Weiss’ vision for their trilogy began to “diverge” from that of Lucasfilm execs, including Kathleen Kennedy. Benioff and Weiss also have a $250 million pact with Netflix. Apparently, Netflix didn’t want to wait for them to finish their Star Wars work before creating new content for them. With this, Lucasfilm began taking meetings with other writers, and Benioff and Weiss eventually jumped ship.

This obviously isn’t the first time that one or more creators have left a Star Wars project over creative differences. Lucasfilm has previously seen Josh Trank, Colin Trevorrow, and Phil Lord and Chris Miller come and go from various movies. Usually, veteran filmmakers get some degree of creative freedom when they sign on for a movie. However, it seems like Lucasfilm’s general expectation is ultimately “for people to stick to the company line.”

One underlying problem Benioff and Weiss' exit illustrates, one source notes, is that there is still no consensus as to what Star Wars is and what Star Wars should be. Disney CEO Bob Iger said there would be a "slowdown" of Star Wars on the big screen, and Lucasfilm shelved a planned Obi-Wan Kenobi movie in favor of making it a Disney+ streaming series, while a planned Boba Fett movie from filmmaker James Mangold was also put on ice. For now, the immediate future of Star Wars will be on the small screen, with Disney+ launching The Mandalorian as its flagship show. In addition to an Obi-Wan series, a Diego Luna-led Rogue One prequel is also in the works.

Unlike Marvel, which has had a clear vision of its cinematic universe, Star Wars has had trouble finding its footing. Johnson took big swings with the mythos in The Last Jedi, and while the film was welcomed by critics and some fans, he was batted down by a vocal portion of the Star Wars community.

“This stuff needs to be sorted before it gets to a cataclysmic point,” says the source.

Would you have liked to see David Benioff and D.B. Weiss films about the origins of the Jedi?

Should Lucasfilm hire other filmmakers to tell this same story?

Leave a comment and tell me what you think about it all!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
My Gallery  •  Please leave a vote and short comment if you download my work, thanks.  •  My Criterion Collection
ctaulbee
Super Administrator
Hand Me The Sledgehammer... I'll Fix It!
Topic author
Topics: 1091
CoverArt: 3412
Resources: 4628
Medals: 56
2021 Cover of The Year (1)COTM March 2021 (1)COTM January 2021 (1)COTM November 2020 (1)
COTM July 2020 (1)COTM February 2020 (1)COTM January 2020 (1)COTM December 2019 (1)

Re: Why the 'Game of Thrones' Duo Bailed on 'Star Wars'

Postby chouette » Oct Thu 31, 2019 2:17 am

I think David Benioff and Dan Weiss made a very good decision by leaving to a galaxy far, far away! ;)

I also think that this is a very long read, lol
chouette
Site Moderator
In my defense, I was left unsupervised.
Topics: 281
CoverArt: 6487
Resources: 281
Medals: 18
EFX ShoutBox Champ 2022 (1)2023 January Cover Contest (1)15,000 Downloads (1)EFX ShoutBox Champ 2021 (1)
EFX ShoutBox Champ 2020 (1)EFX Camp Counselor 2020 (1)EFX ShoutBox Champ 2019 (1)Contributor Of The Year 2019 (1)

Re: Why the 'Game of Thrones' Duo Bailed on 'Star Wars'

Postby alienmem » Nov Mon 04, 2019 5:11 pm

I think Disney is forking up with Star Wars. They're hiring great talent and then firing them just because they don't fit into their template. Star Wars began breaking rules of what could and couldn't be done on screen.

Now Disney is turning Star Wars into Marvel, which is not cinema. Marvel is not cinema. Words of Martin Scorsese, just one of the greatest filmmakers of all time.

A fact is that Marvel films suck. they adhere to a formula and everything that adheres to a formula is predictable and boring and is not art

We already got the horrible Solo and now Disney doesn't know what the hell to do with Star Wars.
alienmem
VIP Subscriber
I'm in a transitional period
Topics: 87
CoverArt: 122
Medals: 2
Wile E. Coyote Genius 2017 (1)Showdown Alienmem def Jamshedt (1)