Current Contest Banner

EFX Subscriptions

News Bits & Rumors

Movie and TV Related News Items and Rumors.

John Wick Spinoff Film Ballerina

Postby bankska22 » Jun Mon 08, 2020 2:14 pm

The John Wick franchise is expanding with a new spinoff film that was announced a few years ago titled Ballerina. The story for this film will focus on the ballerina school run by Anjelica Huston, which was introduced in John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum.

Thanks to franchise director Chad Stahelski, we have some new details to share with you for the film, which will be on par with the franchise’s badass fight and action sequences. The movie is being directed by Len Wiseman.

Ballerina is described as having a similar vibe to La Femme Nikita, and little is known about the story other than it centers on a young woman raised as an assassin who must hunt down the other assassins that murdered her family. During an interview with THR, Stahelski offered the following info:

"Having him [Ballerina director Len Wiseman] on board and approaching some of the action design from a slightly different perspective, meaning the set pieces, the character involvement, how and what he wants to do during the action sequences, makes it kind of fresh. So, we’re not just copying ourselves over and over again with gun-fu or something like that. And because the character is different, we’re going to get a different take on things. But as far as the level, the competence or the style of action? Yes. I plan to be there to assist whenever I can. And our 87eleven stunt team will be very actively involved in helping Len in all his action needs."

According to Stahelski, Wiseman was the one who initially pitched the idea of a spinoff featuring the assassin ballerinas, and he thinks that the director is going to deliver a great movie.

"He had a take that he wanted to pitch to Basil about how Ballerina fit into the John Wick world and how he could really spin it and put his taste on it. So, Basil and Thunder Road heard the pitch, and they wanted me to hear it. So, I went to dinner with Len, and he pitched me on his ideas and what he wanted to do with it. I already think he’s a really good director, and I think he gets the tone. I think he understands action, and I think he’s got a good visual style. And right off the bat, I was like, 'Oh, we’ve got to get this guy. He gets it.'"

Ballerina has yet to set a release date, but I love the concept of assassin ballerinas, and I’m excited to see what this film ends up being. John Wick: Chapter 4 is now set for release on May 7, 2022. There’s also a spinoff series in development at Starz titled The Continental for fans to look forward to.
bankska22
#1 Dallas Cowboy's Fan!
Topic author
Topics: 974
CoverArt: 1914
Resources: 24
Medals: 10
COTM January 2023 (1)2021 April Cover Contest (1)2020 August Cover Contest (1)2020 May Cover Contest (1)
EFX 5K Post Club (1)2019 June Cover Contest (1)COTM March 2019 (1)2014 Action Label Design Comp (1)

Re: John Wick Spinoff Film Ballerina

Postby chouette » Jun Mon 08, 2020 4:47 pm

It sounds very interesting, but it will definitely depend who will be part of the cast. Although I've never seen the movie La Femme Nikita, I loved the series under the same name (with Roy Dupuis  :-~  :D )!
chouette
Site Moderator
In my defense, I was left unsupervised.
Topics: 281
CoverArt: 6487
Resources: 281
Medals: 18
EFX ShoutBox Champ 2022 (1)2023 January Cover Contest (1)15,000 Downloads (1)EFX ShoutBox Champ 2021 (1)
EFX ShoutBox Champ 2020 (1)EFX Camp Counselor 2020 (1)EFX ShoutBox Champ 2019 (1)Contributor Of The Year 2019 (1)

Postby ctaulbee » Jun Mon 08, 2020 7:19 pm

Flop, no way they get this right, without Reeves it's doomed before it starts, no matter who they put in it, it's toast before it leaves the bakery.

They messed up Charlies Angels for gods sake, you would think that is near impossible to do but no, they put the brainless wonder, a feminist no less, Elizabeth Banks in the directors chair, this was to be a film that does one thing -- it exploits women and holds them up as sex symbols... so let's sabotage it with her dumb ass, see they always find a way...

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
My Gallery  •  Please leave a vote and short comment if you download my work, thanks.  •  My Criterion Collection
ctaulbee
Super Administrator
Hand Me The Sledgehammer... I'll Fix It!
Topics: 1091
CoverArt: 3412
Resources: 4628
Medals: 56
2021 Cover of The Year (1)COTM March 2021 (1)COTM January 2021 (1)COTM November 2020 (1)
COTM July 2020 (1)COTM February 2020 (1)COTM January 2020 (1)COTM December 2019 (1)

Postby VincentLupo » Jun Thu 11, 2020 10:16 pm

It does sound like it could be promising but I wouldn't bet on it.
VincentLupo
The Panda Moderator
Topics: 7
CoverArt: 2
Medals: 3
EFX 5K Post Club (1)Pandapedia Official Founder (1)Official Panda Moderator (1)