Current Contest Banner

EFX Subscriptions

Questions & Answers

Here you can find answers on how to do things and ask questions about things not listed.

Resource uploading

Postby Nickaberdeen » Feb Mon 19, 2018 1:49 pm

hi everyone. i was just having a look into uploading resources and was quite surprised at how complicated it is. i read through the rules but am still a little confused. i have a lot of resources and was just about to do a spring clean of them. was just going to upload a load before i did but am a little daunted with the rules.

is there a way to narrow down which to keep for uploading? i noticed the rules are quite strict with them so dont want to do it wrong. thanks
Nickaberdeen
Exclusive Artist
Topic author
Topics: 53
CoverArt: 314
Medals: 1
2019 Rising Star Designer (1)

Re: Resource uploading

Postby ctaulbee » Feb Mon 19, 2018 2:02 pm

Yeah we are not looking to randomly expand that section, in fact the goal is to trim it and reduce the focus, we are not a resource site nor do we have any intent to become one.

We have that section to assist artists only, the main focus long term will be moving more in that direction and less as a catchall for resource uploads which has little to no benefit overall.

One big change is, no stills or promos can be uploaded in there anymore, there is a section for that in the Designers Forum now and instructions on how to do that are in that section.

Resources are now focused on Templates, logos, fonts and other generic things with a wide appeal and limited to less easier to locate items like Title Treatments, Credits, Renders and Posters which need to be text-less and of sufficient size and quality, for new ie-last six months or coming soon titles only.

We don't need any resources for old titles, if the film is not new or coming soon there is little need for us to host resources for it unless someone makes a specific request.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
My Gallery  •  Please leave a vote and short comment if you download my work, thanks.  •  My Criterion Collection
ctaulbee
Super Administrator
Hand Me The Sledgehammer... I'll Fix It!
Topics: 1091
CoverArt: 3412
Resources: 4628
Medals: 56
2021 Cover of The Year (1)COTM March 2021 (1)COTM January 2021 (1)COTM November 2020 (1)
COTM July 2020 (1)COTM February 2020 (1)COTM January 2020 (1)COTM December 2019 (1)

Postby Nickaberdeen » Feb Mon 19, 2018 2:10 pm

oh okay, not a problem. thought i might be able to help add to that section, didnt realise you didnt want to expand that section.

is there sites specifically for resources? i maybe only know one or two sites i can find textless movie posters.
Nickaberdeen
Exclusive Artist
Topic author

Postby ctaulbee » Feb Mon 19, 2018 2:14 pm

Resources are by studio for the most part, each one has it's own publicity site and requirements for access are pretty tight, they don't like anyone outside of the press having access.

So to gain access directly to any of those you would have to lie and make up a cover story to get approved unless you are a member of the press with credentials.

There are some central publicity distribution sites that handle multiple studios but access on those is the same as the above.
My Gallery  •  Please leave a vote and short comment if you download my work, thanks.  •  My Criterion Collection
ctaulbee
Super Administrator
2021 Cover of The Year (1)COTM March 2021 (1)COTM January 2021 (1)COTM November 2020 (1)
COTM July 2020 (1)COTM February 2020 (1)COTM January 2020 (1)COTM December 2019 (1)

Postby Nickaberdeen » Feb Mon 19, 2018 2:32 pm

thats a bit sad. was just thinking that the way google is going it probably wont be long before finding high quality resources is going to get harder and perhaps here would be a great place for artists to share resources even if it wasnt necessarily uploading to the site, maybe a thread with links to resources or something.
Nickaberdeen
Exclusive Artist
Topic author

Postby ctaulbee » Feb Mon 19, 2018 2:39 pm

Nope that won't ever happen here.

I know this is all kind of new to you but most of us have been doing this for many years and those kind of threads which sound great are nothing but a problem.

They work fine for a little while then they start to accumulate into a unmanageable mess like the one at blu-ray dot com where you can't find crap in it and then if you do find what you are looking for, the link may or may not work, if it does there may be malware, forced ads or host of other url tricks on the other end, a pay to download site, or perhaps the link owner has disabled downloads completely due to excessive bandwidth usage, the list is endless.

Then as it gets bigger it becomes a nightmare (impossible really) to constantly check links, edit and remove broken, redirected, improper ones.

I can't tell you haw many topics like that on other forums I have deleted over the years after they became a broken mess.

It's become pretty universal now with Admins that those kind of topics are a very bad idea and no one will open that door much these days.
ctaulbee
Super Administrator

Postby Nickaberdeen » Feb Mon 19, 2018 2:49 pm

makes sense. i know nearly nothing about how to run a site so i wasnt looking at it from site maintenance point of view, never even crossed my mind. that one on bluray is pretty much the only site i have and yes it has got a lot of missing things and i imagine would be a massive issue for the staff to maintain.

i guess i will have to keep looking at movie poster sites or something. do you know any that arent press only? the only others i know are fanart (for titles) and impawards (for posters)/ dont use impawards too much as it isnt the greatest.
Nickaberdeen
Exclusive Artist
Topic author

Postby ctaulbee » Feb Mon 19, 2018 2:51 pm

Not free, which is what most everyone wants.
ctaulbee
Super Administrator

Return to Questions & Answers