Current Contest Banner

EFX Subscriptions

News Bits & Rumors

Movie and TV Related News Items and Rumors.

Quentin Tarantino's Star Trek

Postby bankska22 » Feb Mon 24, 2020 7:17 pm

No long ago we reported that Paramount Pictures shelved director S.J. Clarkson’s Star Trek 4 after Chris Pine and Chris Hemsworth dropped out. Well, in case you were wondering what the status of Quentin Tarantino’s Star Trek project is, it’s still moving forward!

The New York Times recently did a profile on the new leadership at Paramount Pictures and Wyck Godfrey, the president of the film division confirmed that Tarantino’s Star Trek was still happening and when talking about bringing up the idea of that to people he says, “Suddenly people’s eyes light up, Yours just did.”

There aren’t really any story details on the film yet, but The Revenant screenwriter Mark L. Smith is writing the script. Karl Urban also shared some thoughts on the film saying that it's "bananas".

"Quentin Tarantino went in to [producer] J.J. [Abrams]’s offices and pitched him an idea for a Star Trek movie. I know a little bit about what that is, and it’s bananas. So, they are writing that as well. He is currently making a film with Brad Pitt and and [Leonardo] DiCaprio [Once Upon a Time in Hollywood]. So, it is going to be a year away from finishing that. So, it would be really rad to get to make a film with him. That would be a dream come true, he is definitely an auteur. Whether you like his films or not, he is a good filmmaker. And he makes interesting stuff. So, to me, that is when you get the best results."

Urban went on to say:

"I was personally delighted he was not only a Star Trek fan, but also interested in working with our cast. It’s not only a new story, but he is just one of those filmmakers that has a very unique and specific vision. And he totally utilizes the camera to tell the story. I think he would make a great Star Trek movie, I really do."

He then adds that he thinks Tarantino would deliver something completely unique:

"I think that Tarantino would be able to do something quite unique. So, fingers crossed that will happen. It is in the hands of Paramount. If we don’t get to make [Star Trek 4] next year with Chris Hemsworth, then that’s ok, let’s make a really good Quentin Tarantino Star Trek movie. You will have to wait longer, but it will be well worth it."

The actor also talks about the R-rating of the film and explains that it will mostly be to show the horrors of space:

"You shouldn’t worry that it is going to be full of obscenity and stuff. He wants an R-rating to really make those beats of consequence land. If it’s not PG, if someone gets sucked out into space, which we have all seen before, we might see them get disemboweled first…It allows some some breadth…gives him some leeway to do that. To me, that was always one of the things I loved about what DeForest Kelley did. He would actually capture the horror of space. That look in his eyes of sheer terror always struck me when I was a kid."

I’m happy to hear that Tarantino’s Star Trek is still in development. I’m really excited to see how that turns out!
bankska22
#1 Dallas Cowboy's Fan!
Topic author
Topics: 977
CoverArt: 1917
Resources: 24
Medals: 10
COTM January 2023 (1)2021 April Cover Contest (1)2020 August Cover Contest (1)2020 May Cover Contest (1)
EFX 5K Post Club (1)2019 June Cover Contest (1)COTM March 2019 (1)2014 Action Label Design Comp (1)

Re: Quentin Tarantino's Star Trek

Postby chouette » Feb Mon 24, 2020 8:05 pm

Should be interesting, although I really didn't like "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood". But it's Star Trek, so there is that.

:D
chouette
Site Moderator
In my defense, I was left unsupervised.
Topics: 281
CoverArt: 6499
Resources: 284
Medals: 18
EFX ShoutBox Champ 2022 (1)2023 January Cover Contest (1)15,000 Downloads (1)EFX ShoutBox Champ 2021 (1)
EFX ShoutBox Champ 2020 (1)EFX Camp Counselor 2020 (1)EFX ShoutBox Champ 2019 (1)Contributor Of The Year 2019 (1)

Postby ctaulbee » Feb Mon 24, 2020 8:51 pm

Last month Tarantino told Deadline:

Quentin Tarantino’s long-gestating journey with “Star Trek” appears to be coming to an end. In an interview with Deadline following this week’s Oscar nominations, the “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood” filmmaker more or less removed himself from directing the R-rated “Star Trek” project. Tarantino had been attached to a “Star Trek” film since December 2017 when it was reported he had successfully pitched an R-rated adventure to producer J.J. Abrams and Paramount. Over two years later, Tarantino seems ready to leave “Star Trek” behind.

“I think they might make that movie, but I just don’t think I’m going to direct it,” Tarantino tells Deadline, a more definitive answer than when he told Consequence of Sound in December that he was “steering away” from the project. “It’s a good idea. They should definitely do it and I’ll be happy to come in and give them some notes on the first rough cut.”

That's not to say he won't come back if they offer him enough money, this could just be a negotiation tactic but it sounds bad.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
My Gallery  •  Please leave a vote and short comment if you download my work, thanks.  •  My Criterion Collection
ctaulbee
Super Administrator
Hand Me The Sledgehammer... I'll Fix It!
Topics: 1091
CoverArt: 3412
Resources: 4628
Medals: 56
2021 Cover of The Year (1)COTM March 2021 (1)COTM January 2021 (1)COTM November 2020 (1)
COTM July 2020 (1)COTM February 2020 (1)COTM January 2020 (1)COTM December 2019 (1)

Postby bankska22 » Feb Mon 24, 2020 9:02 pm

I just want more Trek!!! More the better.  Not sure about the R Rating though.
bankska22
#1 Dallas Cowboy's Fan!
Topic author
COTM January 2023 (1)2021 April Cover Contest (1)2020 August Cover Contest (1)2020 May Cover Contest (1)
EFX 5K Post Club (1)2019 June Cover Contest (1)COTM March 2019 (1)2014 Action Label Design Comp (1)

Postby ctaulbee » Feb Mon 24, 2020 9:25 pm

Tarantino likes to have the option for a R rating approved by the studio before he starts a project, there might be a scene for example where a person get sucked out hole in a ship and he wants blood on the hole, wall and floor, you see, stuff like that.

Previous Star Trek films had boobs and stuff in them, still Tarantino rarely makes really sexually explicit films but he does make them with graphic violence (gashing wounds, dismemberment or be-headings that type of thing) and then if you add in blood with like ripping or slashing wounds, it gets a R rating.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
My Gallery  •  Please leave a vote and short comment if you download my work, thanks.  •  My Criterion Collection
ctaulbee
Super Administrator
Hand Me The Sledgehammer... I'll Fix It!
Topics: 1091
CoverArt: 3412
Resources: 4628
Medals: 56
2021 Cover of The Year (1)COTM March 2021 (1)COTM January 2021 (1)COTM November 2020 (1)
COTM July 2020 (1)COTM February 2020 (1)COTM January 2020 (1)COTM December 2019 (1)

Postby Jazzy » Feb Mon 24, 2020 11:13 pm

chouette wrote:Should be interesting, although I really didn't like "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood". But it's Star Trek, so there is that.

:D

:agreed:
Jazzy
Administrator
It must be 5 O'clock somewhere on this planet....Beer Time!
Topics: 542
CoverArt: 938
Resources: 75
Medals: 3
EFX 5K Post Club (1)2016 Design Merit Contest (1)

Postby bankska22 » Feb Tue 25, 2020 10:33 pm

Makes sense. Bring it on!
bankska22
#1 Dallas Cowboy's Fan!
Topic author

Postby VincentLupo » Feb Tue 25, 2020 10:54 pm

I'd just like to see another one made.
VincentLupo
The Panda Moderator
Topics: 7
CoverArt: 2
Medals: 3
EFX 5K Post Club (1)Pandapedia Official Founder (1)Official Panda Moderator (1)