Current Contest Banner

EFX Subscriptions

News Bits & Rumors

Movie and TV Related News Items and Rumors.

Perry Mason

Postby bankska22 » Mar Mon 09, 2020 6:31 pm

Emmy-winning star of the freshly finished Golden Globe winning series The Americans, Matthew Rhys, has a new gig on the horizon. Rhys has been tapped to play the title role of Perry Mason in an HBO limited series that “tracks the unorthodox investigator/defense attorney’s origin story.”

HBO and the production company Team Downey are still looking to add a director to the series, then production is expected to move forward. The series has been written and executive produced by Robert Downy Jr. and Susan Downey.  Rolin Jones and Ron Fitzgerald will also produce and serve as showrunners. Here’s a description of the series from Deadline:

…the reimagined Perry Mason is set in 1932 Los Angeles. While the rest of the country recovers from the Great Depression, this city is booming! Oil! Olympic Games! Talking Pictures! Evangelical Fervor! And a child kidnapping gone very, very wrong! Based on characters created by Erle Stanley Gardner, the limited series follows the origins of American Fiction’s most legendary criminal defense lawyer, Perry Mason (Rhys). When the case of the decade breaks down his door, Mason’s relentless pursuit of the truth reveals a fractured city and just maybe, a pathway to redemption for himself.  

Perry Mason is a little before my time, but it was a very popular show and character, and I love Matthew Rhys. I’m also usually pretty happy with the stuff that HBO puts out. So I will be giving this series at shot when it comes out.

What about you? Does this sound like something that interests you?
bankska22
#1 Dallas Cowboy's Fan!
Topic author
Topics: 977
CoverArt: 1917
Resources: 24
Medals: 10
COTM January 2023 (1)2021 April Cover Contest (1)2020 August Cover Contest (1)2020 May Cover Contest (1)
EFX 5K Post Club (1)2019 June Cover Contest (1)COTM March 2019 (1)2014 Action Label Design Comp (1)

Re: Perry Mason

Postby Jazzy » Mar Mon 09, 2020 10:28 pm

This should be good...
Jazzy
Administrator
It must be 5 O'clock somewhere on this planet....Beer Time!
Topics: 542
CoverArt: 938
Resources: 75
Medals: 3
EFX 5K Post Club (1)2016 Design Merit Contest (1)

Postby chouette » Mar Mon 09, 2020 11:03 pm

I like Matthew Rhys, so I'll probably see what it's all about at some point. The older Perry Mason series first started the year I was born, so since I didn't watch much TV at 1 year old, I just know it by name. Come to think about it, we didn't even have a TV during that time to even watch it, lol
chouette
Site Moderator
In my defense, I was left unsupervised.
Topics: 281
CoverArt: 6499
Resources: 284
Medals: 18
EFX ShoutBox Champ 2022 (1)2023 January Cover Contest (1)15,000 Downloads (1)EFX ShoutBox Champ 2021 (1)
EFX ShoutBox Champ 2020 (1)EFX Camp Counselor 2020 (1)EFX ShoutBox Champ 2019 (1)Contributor Of The Year 2019 (1)

Postby VincentLupo » Mar Thu 12, 2020 8:35 pm

I like the original Perry Mason. I'll give it a look but I'm not holding my breath.
VincentLupo
The Panda Moderator
Topics: 7
CoverArt: 2
Medals: 3
EFX 5K Post Club (1)Pandapedia Official Founder (1)Official Panda Moderator (1)