Current Contest Banner

EFX Subscriptions

Questions & Answers

Here you can find answers on how to do things and ask questions about things not listed.

Q&A: Saved JPG File Size is Massive!

Postby Nickaberdeen » Nov Sat 11, 2017 12:56 pm

Hi everyone. i was just wondering if anyone has come across issues in the past where something strange has happened to a cover they are working on and it has been abnormally large?

i was making a cover recently for this site and something strange is going on with it and i have no idea why or how to fix it. i made it in the same way i make all my covers with the same basic template to start, i havent used massively high quality images for it or anything but when i go to save the file as a jpeg it is saving at about 36mb.

i thought i was having some pc issues as photoshop kept crashing when i was working it on my little acer pc but when i finished off on a laptop and it saved as 36mb i knew it was the file as opposed to the program that was the problem.

i havent come across this before and was just wondering if anyone had? i obviously cant upload it at that size and have tried a couple of different ways to try and sort it out but i cant get it any smaller. does anyone have any suggestions as i dont really wnt to just delete as it took a decent amount of time to put together but worst case scenario i can just write it off.

cheers  :D
Nickaberdeen
Exclusive Artist
Topic author
Topics: 53
CoverArt: 314
Medals: 1
2019 Rising Star Designer (1)

Re: Q&A: Saved JPG File Size is Massive!

Postby stampe » Nov Sat 11, 2017 3:30 pm

Get IrfanView. It's small & free.

Re-saving the JPG with it will generally solve the problem.

http://www.irfanview.com/

***** If you are not a Windows user *****

XnView (has a Multi-Platform Application for Windows/Mac OS X/Linux) it will do the same thing and it's freeware (donation supported).

https://www.xnview.com/en/xnviewmp/
stampe
Artisan
dyslexic one
Topics: 62
CoverArt: 332
Resources: 5
Medals: 5
COTM May 2023 (1)COTM February 2023 (1)COTM February 2021 (1)2017 September Cover Contest (1)
Showdown Stampe def Jamshedt (1)

Postby ctaulbee » Nov Sat 11, 2017 4:19 pm

Stampe's suggestion is the best path.

Here is a how-to on it: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=28171

Little discussion on the cause:

It's a known issue with Photoshop since CS6 and in all versions of CC, the cause, if you are curious, is Photoshop storing extra information in the file header, in the form of data for editing and other uses, that of course can not be compressed as it's not image data and is ignored no matter what the compression is set to.

To solve this you have to remove the extra data.

Re-saving in a different program like stampe suggested will work with most programs, as they will ignore the Photoshop data on the re-save.

To do it from inside Photoshop you can use the "Save for the Web" option and set the "metadata" drop down to none.

Problem is "Save for the Web" sets the DPI to 72 so you will have to change it back to 300.

To do this in Photoshop you just need to re-open the file and select resize image, uncheck the "resample" box, this is so it maintains the same pixel size, then set the dpi back to 300, apply and then save it a second time, then you won't need a separate program.

Also you can use a online DPI converter to set the DPI from 72 to 300, it won't affect the file as the DPI or more correctly today PPI is a "Printer Only Setting."

https://convert.town/image-dpi

FYI:

"Save for the Web" is being phased out in Photoshop and is not on the save menu since CC 2015, it's listed as a legacy option on the "Export" menu now, my guess is at some point it will be discontinued completely.

Some things I have found that cause huge saved files are nested smart-objects and shapes probably the vector data, I'd say there are likely many other things too, Adobe will not acknowledge the problem even exists and has thus far after five years not fixed it either.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
My Gallery  •  Please leave a vote and short comment if you download my work, thanks.  •  My Criterion Collection
ctaulbee
Super Administrator
Hand Me The Sledgehammer... I'll Fix It!
Topics: 1091
CoverArt: 3412
Resources: 4628
Medals: 56
2021 Cover of The Year (1)COTM March 2021 (1)COTM January 2021 (1)COTM November 2020 (1)
COTM July 2020 (1)COTM February 2020 (1)COTM January 2020 (1)COTM December 2019 (1)

Postby Nickaberdeen » Nov Sat 11, 2017 4:23 pm

i will definitely give the photoshop way a shot when i get a few minutes as i prefer to keep my programs to a minimum but if i cant do it for some reason i will go with the other software option. thanks everyone.
Nickaberdeen
Exclusive Artist
Topic author

Postby Nickaberdeen » Nov Sat 11, 2017 4:38 pm

ctaulbee wrote:Some things I have found that cause huge saved files are nested smart-objects and shapes probably the vector data, I'd say there are likely many other things too, Adobe will not acknowledge the problem even exists and has thus far after five years not fixed it either.

That worked like a charm. I couldn't see anything in the actual Photoshop file that would cause it. I very rarely use smart objects or vectors and the images weren't the highest quality so I am completely stumped on that one, I do use nested folders a lot but I do with all of the files I do. bizarre. but anyway its good to know how to fix it if it ever happens again. thanks
Nickaberdeen
Exclusive Artist
Topic author

Postby chouette » Nov Sat 11, 2017 4:55 pm

That's mighty fine informative instructions you gave there CT!

:confusion:

LOL
chouette
Site Moderator
In my defense, I was left unsupervised.
Topics: 281
CoverArt: 6487
Resources: 281
Medals: 18
EFX ShoutBox Champ 2022 (1)2023 January Cover Contest (1)15,000 Downloads (1)EFX ShoutBox Champ 2021 (1)
EFX ShoutBox Champ 2020 (1)EFX Camp Counselor 2020 (1)EFX ShoutBox Champ 2019 (1)Contributor Of The Year 2019 (1)

Postby stampe » Nov Sat 11, 2017 4:59 pm

lol chouette :D
stampe
Artisan
dyslexic one
Topics: 62
CoverArt: 332
Resources: 5
Medals: 5
COTM May 2023 (1)COTM February 2023 (1)COTM February 2021 (1)2017 September Cover Contest (1)
Showdown Stampe def Jamshedt (1)

Postby bewarethebeastman » Jul Thu 09, 2020 9:52 am

Thank you, that worked for me, doing it in photoshop itself. File size kept being like 17MB, didn't know what to do  :-(

ctaulbee wrote:Stampe's suggestion is the best path.

Here is a how-to on it: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=28171

Little discussion on the cause:

It's a known issue with Photoshop since CS6 and in all versions of CC, the cause, if you are curious, is Photoshop storing extra information in the file header, in the form of data for editing and other uses, that of course can not be compressed as it's not image data and is ignored no matter what the compression is set to.

To solve this you have to remove the extra data.

Re-saving in a different program like stampe suggested will work with most programs, as they will ignore the Photoshop data on the re-save.

To do it from inside Photoshop you can use the "Save for the Web" option and set the "metadata" drop down to none.

Problem is "Save for the Web" sets the DPI to 72 so you will have to change it back to 300.

To do this in Photoshop you just need to re-open the file and select resize image, uncheck the "resample" box, this is so it maintains the same pixel size, then set the dpi back to 300, apply and then save it a second time, then you won't need a separate program.

Also you can use a online DPI converter to set the DPI from 72 to 300, it won't affect the file as the DPI or more correctly today PPI is a "Printer Only Setting."

https://convert.town/image-dpi

FYI:

"Save for the Web" is being phased out in Photoshop and is not on the save menu since CC 2015, it's listed as a legacy option on the "Export" menu now, my guess is at some point it will be discontinued completely.

Some things I have found that cause huge saved files are nested smart-objects and shapes probably the vector data, I'd say there are likely many other things too, Adobe will not acknowledge the problem even exists and has thus far after five years not fixed it either.
bewarethebeastman
Designer
Topics: 36
CoverArt: 34
2020 Rising Star Designer (1)

Postby Wrench » Jul Thu 09, 2020 4:06 pm

I use Image MetaData Stripper for the cover comps. http://codewelt.com/stripper
It will change a 14MB file to 200KB - 300KB file and 72 DPI.
You can use Photo Resizer to reset the DPI back to 300 DPI. http://www.rw-designer.com/picture-resize
Click on Image Below To View My Covers Image

Wrench
EFX Comp Organizer
If It's Not Broke Chewie Will Break it
Topics: 1109
CoverArt: 1735
Resources: 292
Occupation: Retired ASE Auto Tech, Annoy Chewie, Pamie and Sell Computers
Medals: 12
Speling Be Champian 2022 (1)The Immutable One 2021 (1)Most Obnoxious Shouts 2020 (1)EFX Mascot 2020 (1)
Captain Obvious 2019 (1)EFX 5K Post Club (1)2017 March Label Contest (1)EFX ShoutBox Champ 2016 (1)

Postby ctaulbee » Jul Sat 11, 2020 11:09 pm

It hurts the quality of the images some though Wrench, the stampe way is the way to go.

Meta strippers are fine for web images but not okay for images uploaded to the gallery, not if you want them to be their highest quality.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
My Gallery  •  Please leave a vote and short comment if you download my work, thanks.  •  My Criterion Collection
ctaulbee
Super Administrator
Hand Me The Sledgehammer... I'll Fix It!
Topics: 1091
CoverArt: 3412
Resources: 4628
Medals: 56
2021 Cover of The Year (1)COTM March 2021 (1)COTM January 2021 (1)COTM November 2020 (1)
COTM July 2020 (1)COTM February 2020 (1)COTM January 2020 (1)COTM December 2019 (1)

Return to Questions & Answers